Hi there! It’s Jessica popping in again, and today Amanda has given me the honor of sharing a quick how-to just in time for Christmas! These simple fabric wrapped candy canes make the sweetest gift toppers or ornaments and take less than 5 minutes to make. Ultra quick & easy touches like these are my favorite during this busy season!
1. Chances are, at this time of year, you already have everything you need on hand. Supplies include: candy canes, scrap fabric, low-temp hot glue gun (can’t stress LOW enough-you will definitely burn your fingers otherwise), and simple embellishments like lace, pinecones, jingle bells, etc. Begin by tearing your fabric into a strip that is approximately 1″ wide and 2-3′ long. You can always snip off the excess fabric at the end.
2. Add a big dollup of hot glue to the bottom tip of your candy cane and attach your fabric strip, starting approximately 1″ away from the end. While your glue is still hot, squish down your fabric on all 4 sides to secure it all around the tip.
3. Begin wrapping your fabric, tightly all the way up your cane until you reach the curve at the top. Note: I left mine wrapped in plastic in case it breaks or crumbles. You could also unwrap your cane for a more tight, sleek look.
4. Instead of wrapping all the way to the end. Pause at the curve of the candy cane. Cut your fabric strip and glue it secure. The trick to finishing it off nicely is to repeat Step #2 on the other end, then wrap back up join and cover the fabric in the curve. Secure with one last dab of glue.
5. Tie on a piece of lace, a to-from tag, or a mini holiday embellishment.
Tip: For variety, try wrapping your candy canes with burlap, lace, or ribbon. Go crazy and enjoy!
Merry Christmas friends!